The New York Rangers are preparing for a two-game series against the Philadelphia Flyers which begins Thursday night at Madison Square Garden.
New York Rangers: 23-17-6 (52 pts)
Philadelphia Flyers: 20-18-7 (47 pts)
The Blueshirts have won four of the last five (4-1-0 record). The Rangers have also had at least one point in six of the last seven games (5-1-1 record), in 10 of the last 12 games (8-2-2 record) and in 16 of the last 21 games (Record 13 -5-3).
The Rangers will sack Igor Shesterkin in goal after the team’s 6-1 loss to the Islanders on Tuesday night. The rookie goaltender has played three career games against the Flyers, 1-2-0, 3.06 GAA .925 SV%. Shesterkin has stopped 76 of 81 shots in his last two appearances against the Flyers (.938 SV%).
The Rangers will be deprived of the services of defender Jacob Trouba, who is registered overnight after leaving the game on Tuesday.
The injury opens the door for recently signed defenseman Zac Jones, who won the NCAA Frozen Four Championship while playing for UMASS last month. He has practiced with the team and is ready to help in any way he can.
“If I get the chance, I’ll make the most of it,”
Jones said Wednesday during a media availability zoom session.
Since March 17, several Rangers have been among the leaders of the NHL in various categories:
- Artemi Panarin’s 30 points are the most important in the NHL and his 20 assists are tied for the second most in the NHL.
- Mika Zibanejad’s 13 goals are the most important in the NHL and his 28 points are tied for the second most in the NHL.
- Adam Fox’s 23 assists are the most important in the NHL and his 26 points are the fourth most in the NHL.
- Ryan Strome’s 20 assists are tied for second in the NHL and his 24 points are fifth in the NHL.
The Blueshirts are the only team in the NHL with four players who have recorded 40 points or more this season (Panarin, Strome, Fox, Buchnevich). Additionally, the Rangers are one of only two NHL teams to have four players who have scored 16 or more goals in 2020-21 (along with Florida; Kreider, Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Panarin).
The Rangers were zero for 2 (4:00 am) on April 20 at the New York Islanders; the Blueshirts recorded six shots on goal during their two power play chances.
New York has two power play goals in two of the last three games (4 in 10; 40.0%).
The Blueshirts have scored nine power play goals in the last 10 games (9 in 25; 36.0%), 16 power play goals in the last 16 games (16 in 47; 34.0%) and 18 in power has scored goals in the last 19 games (18 in 57; 31.6%).
As of March 22, the Blueshirts’ 34.0% power play efficiency is the second best in the NHL.
New York is second in the NHL in power play in 2020-2021 (156).
The Rangers were 2 for 3 (4:42) on April 20 to the New York Islanders.
The Blueshirts haven’t allowed a power-play goal in 28 of the last 39 games (99 in 113; 87.6%), including 22 of the last 32 games (77 in 90; 85.6%).
The Rangers have killed 102 of their opponents ‘117 power play chances in the last 40 games (87.2%) and have limited their opponents to just 150 shots on goal in their opponents’ 117 power play chances.
New York is fourth in the NHL for shooting efficiency this season (84.7%).
The Rangers rank third in the NHL in shorthanded goals in 2020-2021 (Sept).
The Blueshirts haven’t allowed a power play goal in 30 different games this season (tied with Vegas for the most part in the NHL).
As of Jan. 30, Rangers’ 87.6% effectiveness on penalties is the best in the NHL.
- Artemi Panarin – 1 pass in 100 with the Rangers.
- Ryan Strome – 2 points out of 300 in his NHL career.
- Phillip Di Giuseppe – 3 games out of 200 in his NHL career.
- Mika Zibanejad – 6 games out of 600 in his NHL career; 8 of 200 goals in his NHL career.
- Anthony Bitetto – 6 games out of 200 in his NHL career.
- Alexandar Georgiev – 7 out of 100 appearances in his NHL career / with the Rangers; 8 out of 50 wins in his NHL / Rangers career.
- Pavel Buchnevich – 8 games out of 300 in NHL career / with Rangers.
Statistics provided by the NYR Public Relations Department
Follow Frank on Twitter at @RangerProud